Laser Post-Op Diet
The first three days following Laser Therapy, follow only a liquid-like diet to allow healing. Anything that could be put into a blender to drink is ideal. The purpose of this is to protect the clot that is acting as a bandage between the gum and the teeth. Do not drink through a straw as this creates a vacuum in your mouth that can disturb the bandage. Take daily vitamins.
The next four days after treatment foods with a mushy consistency such as those listed below are recommended.
Starting seven to ten days after treatment mushy to soft foods are allowable. Soft foods have the consistency of pasta, fish, chicken or steamed vegetables. After this point you can begin to gradually add back in your regular diet choices.
Please remember that even after ten days healing is not complete. The first month following treatment you should continue to make smart food choices. Softer foods are better.
Mushy Diet Suggestions
- Daily vitamins.
- Anything put through a blender.
- Cream of Wheat, oatmeal, Malt O’ Meal.
- Mashed or baked potatoes (sour cream and butter are fine).
- Mashed/blended fruits except those with edible seeds (kiwi, strawberries).
- Broth or creamed soups.
- Mashed, steamed vegetables.
- Mashed yams, baked sweet potatoes, butternut squash.
- Cottage cheese, cream cheese and other soft cheeses.
- Creamy peanut butter without sold pieces.
- Any style of egg, with or without melted cheese.
- Omelets are fine with cheese and avocado.
- Gelatins, pudding, ice cream, yogurt.
- Milk shakes/smoothies (can be blended with fruits without edible seeds).
- Supplemental nutritional drinks such as Ensure and/or Slim-Fast.
DO NOT EAT:
- Chewing gum, candy, cookies, chips, nuts or anything hard or crunchy.
- Anything that has seeds or hard pieces.
- Meat that shreds and can lodge under the gum and/or between teeth.
- Raw vegetables or salad.
- Spicy or excessively hot foods.